Sunday 18 March 2007

Passwords.... bloody passwords!

My dog - that's VB of course - can get away with a 6 digit number to get through his life. This is both attached to his collar and of course his internal chip. I, on the other hand, need logins, passwords, PINS and other paraphernalia to access bank accounts, websites, credit cards, mobile phones and even my freakin' front gate! Not that I am proposing an internal chip I hasten to add.

Now those Experts in matters security suggest - nay insist - that using the same login, password and PIN for everything is verboten, so as a consequence, we have multitudes to memorise (we cannot write them down either we are told) and who has a memory that good? Especially as we get older and the list gets longer.

One of my colleagues has discovered a gem of a Utility that is free and called LockNote. Working somewhat like a Notepad file, when you close the file (and it can be saved anywhere locally or even on-line) it asks for a password and confirmation. This encrypts the contents absolutely. When re-opening this file - saved as an *.exe file by the way - if you can't get the password right, the file will not open.

I have saved a complete list of all my logons, passwords and PINS etc in one file with a single password to remember and placed copies on my main PC, notebook and online.

Too easy!

To get LockNote, go to http://locknote.steganos.com. An equivalent Mac product I beleive is called "wallet".

No comments: